Thursday, April 7, 2011

Day 15 4/04/2011

PART 3!

On April the 11th 2001, my life started. Yes you could say that my life started from when I was born. But when you send the last 2+ years slowly getting sicker you start to forget the time before when life was different. Before I had my transplant I was dying so when I say my life started I mean that I could start living again, the wait which is so hard. I could and probably will never understand what it was like for my family.

So on April the 11th 2001, I went to see one of my liver doctors in the afternoon after school. We were told that he had an important call about a transplant and that we had to wait in his office. Me and my mum waited in there as I was only 12 at the time. At the time we just assumed that the call was about a liver for an adult as he mostly worked with adult liver transplants. When he came into the office we had the normal check up and he said see you in 3 months. But as we were making a new appointment one of the other doctors asked me and mum to step back into the doctors office. Mum then turned to me and said he is going to get you that liver, and I started freaking out saying I didn't want it anymore.
He came back in and said there is a 50% chance there will be a liver for you tonight don't go out! The first thing my mum said was "what do you mean don't go out I have bridge on tonight?"

We left the doctors office and then went to my brothers school interviews, where he told me that he didn't want me to have the transplant now because then he couldn't go to his softball comp in VIC! Later that night as we were driving home from the interviews we got a call on the special mobile phone they give you. It was the coordinated for the transplant program and he asked my mum to pull over to the side of the road! There he told my mum that they had a live for me and that I was to go home and get ready! When we got home my aunties came over and there was a whole lot of crying! My dad, step mum and sister all lived in QLD so I had to ring them and say goodbye. Then I had to have my last meal which was honey toast because that was all we had left! Let me tell you if you are ever put on the transplant list always have something good to eat in the house because honey toast is crap when it's you last meal for days!

We were then flown to Sydney by air ambulance and then transported to Westmead Children's Hospital. We got there at about 10:30pm and I didn't go down to sugary till 4am! They had to do extensive tests again to match the liver. The tests finished around 2am and mum wanted me to get some sleep but I was so afraid to sleep because I thought I would never wake up again! They took me down to the theater waiting area, then in to the theater where I one of the last things I said to my mum was I don't want to die! Looking back I am glad that I had my transplant when I was so young because my fear of death was not as great as it is now!

The transplant took 14hours, and in that time my whole family arrived! Waking up the first thing I remember was looking at the monitors and knowing that I was alive! That was about 4am the following day. Shortly after my dad came into intensive care and the first thing he said to me was "why are you up so early Blissy?" (nickname) Very soon after that my mum came along at that was the moment that I new I was going to be alright with both my parents standing beside me!

Part 4 next blog!







No comments:

Post a Comment