Thursday, April 14, 2011

Day 16 5/04/2011

PART 4........

So the last part of the story is going to be very short! After I woke in intensive care I was only in there for about 24 more hours. At 10am the morning that morning I had the respirator taken out and by that night I was aloud to eat! The only thing I wanted was a lemonade and some apple juice! That first day was filled with tests and pain! And by that night I was watching Dawsons Creek with my sister! Or more she was watching it, and I was yelling at my mum to wipe the other side of my face!

The next day I was taken to the ward where, everything pretty much happened from there! It was all very fast! I learnt to walk, eat, wee and everything else. You have to recover pretty fast after the operation because if you don't then it becomes harder for your body to heal! I stayed on Pat Clancy ward for 3 weeks and was in a isolation room for most of that time, there was a play room where I could go, where I had school lessons with a private tutor.
After 2 weeks on the ward the doctors noticed that my blood sugars were not going down and it was determined that I had diabetes. They first thought that it would be a temporary thing as I was on special meds that made me have high blood sugars. But it has been 10 years now and I'm still on insulin.
*I was predisposed to get diabetes as I have CF and it occurs very often in teens with CF. It was brought on earlier because of the anti-rejection meds I have to take.
Getting the diabetes was probably the worst thing that happened, it took me along time to adjust to having needles and controlling what I eat! (Don't tell anyone this but I am afraid of needles!)
The second hardest thing about the recovery was the isolation, after I was released from the ward I still had to live at the hospital for 3 months and I couldn't even see my little brother until 6 weeks after the transplant because he had cold sores. My mum would stay with me during the week and then my dad would come down every weekend.
*Should explain the transplant was done in Sydney and I had to live at the hospital in special accommodation on hospital grounds. My mum and I lived in Canberra and my dad flew in from the Gold Coast every weekend.

A transplant is a very long journey for everyone one involved. I got to know the hospital staff like family and my own family had to make very big sacrifice for me. After the transplant and being away for so long it becomes hard to adjust to regular life, almost every part of my life changed after that operation.

I want to dedicate this page to the amazing family who deiced to donate their loved ones organs. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment